TOTALSOCCER

truly committed ...

Thursday, February 09, 2006

ESSIEN SPEAKS


Chelsea midfielder Michael Essien said he was disappointed at having to miss the African Cup of Nations for Ghana.
The 23-year-old was part of the original squad but subsequently ruled out with an ankle problem two weeks before the start of the tournament.

Some supporters have called for the resignation of national team coach Ratomir Dujkovic, but Essien believes they should be patient.
"I know the Ghanaians are frustrated, but he was the first ever coach to guide Ghana to the World Cup finals. There were also three key players who were missing from the Cup of Nations squad," he said.
Looking ahead to Germany 2006, the midfielder said he was eager to make amends for missing the Cup of Nations.
"I need to prepare myself for the World Cup," he said.
"I have to be ready for it and I'm willing to play in the friendlies leading up to the event."